Senior Nurse Manager, Division of Nursing & Nursing Informatics, KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
Ms Esther Goh is a strong advocate of harnessing IT to transform the delivery of quality patient care, nursing operations and nursing education. She has been in the nursing profession for 19 years, and started her career with KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital (KKH) in 1998. Since joining Nursing Informatics (NI) in 2010, she has been heavily involved in the implementation and change management of numerous initiatives in KKH’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system, with a special focus on nursing IT-related applications, including nurse charting, clinical documentation and IT downtime improvement.
As a key member in Nursing Informatics (NI), Esther constantly looks into improving and simplifying nursing workflows through the incorporation of IT. She was instrumental in transforming nursing operations through the implementation of the following IT initiatives:
- Electronic Nurse Charting, where she spearheaded the initiative as chairperson, transforming the common nursing monitoring document into a standardised set of electronic forms for adult, paediatric and neonatal specialties in KKH, greatly improving communications and clinical workflows;
- Hospital Nursing Clinical Documentation, where she chaired the Nursing Workgroup and led the successful rollout of the hospital-wide Nursing ClinDoc, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Women’s Intensive Care Unit (WICU) and Delivery Suite flowsheets in 2017. With the successful implementation of Nursing Assessment Notes, patient clinical data can be shared across the healthcare continuum through the integrated EMR system, providing quality healthcare through greater collaboration amongst clinicians and nurses;
- KKH Integrated Children Emergency System, where she collaborated with other nursing colleagues to support the implementation of the new Children Emergency workflow, especially in the areas of training and provision of system cutover support;
- Sunrise Clinical Manager & TrendCare Upgrade, where she led system upgrade discussions as the NI lead, scoped user requirements, User Acceptance Testing as well as training programmes for the nursing community; and
- 3 x 3 Downtime Workflow, where a flowchart was crafted from users’ perspective of managing a downtime process (e.g. Scheduled SCM, Unscheduled SCM or Unscheduled Network Downtime) and operational management process were mapped back for ‘before downtime’, ‘during downtime’ and ‘after downtime’. The resulting harmonised workflow helped to ease doctors, nurses and allied health users’ anxiety during unscheduled downtime, and provided guidance on the necessary tasks to perform, during various downtime scenarios.
Esther serves in multiple IT committees within KKH, the SingHealth cluster and Singapore Nursing Association (SNA), and is the current Chairperson of the Nursing Clinical Documentation Workgroup and Nurse Charting Workgroup, as well as Co-Chairperson of the SingHealth Nursing Informatics Council. She has received several commendations including the Nurses Merit Award (2014), Team Excellence Award for IT Downtime System PIP Team Excellence Competition in ICQCC, Taipei (2013), and the Gold Award for Team Excellence Symposium on IT Downtime System PIP Team Excellence Competition in Spring (2012).